Potato Tamarind curry is a quick and tasty recipe. The ten minutes cook time and the taste it yields will make you go for it again and again. Since the curry is slightly tangy it goes great with moong dal rasam/pesaru kattu or Sambar. Recipe for potato tamarind curry requires the basic ingredients that go in Tamarind Rice. A home made curry powder is the secret ingredient. The recipe requires no onions and can also be made as a part of offerings for God.
Required Ingredients to make Potato Tamarind Curry.
- Boiled Potatoes: 4
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 a teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 a teaspoon
- Urad Dal: 1/2 a teaspoon
- Chana dal (Bengal gram): 1/2 a teaspoon
- Slit green chili: 1
- Curry leaves: few
- Salt: To taste
- Tamarind Juice: 3 table spoon
- Curry Powder: 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Recipe for Potato Tamarind Curry:
- Take a pan and heat some oil. To the oil add cumin and urad dal.
- Immediately add chana dal, turmeric powder, slit green chilis and tamarind juice and cook for a minute. You can also add curry leaves at this point.
- Once the tamarind juice thickens add in the boiled and cubed potatoes (cooked for 2 whistles in the cooker)
- Since we are using boiled potatoes be careful while stirring as you don’t want to mash them. I myself tossed the potatoes to mix the ingredients.
- Once the potatoes gets nicely coated add in the salt to taste.
- Now we add in the curry powder (menthi powder my calls it :D) to taste and toss them again. Cook till they look something nice and brown.