Thotakura /amaranthus is a great source of iron and to include it in my meal often I prefer making Thotakura Fry- Amaranthus Fry. The recipe is super simple and has been adapted by Mom from a neighbour of ours, when we resided in Bihar.
Ingredients required to make Thotakura fry:
- Amaranthus/thotakura: 4 Bunches
- Garlic- 7- 10 pods
- Ginger: 1/2 an inch
- Salt: To taste.
- Dry Red chili: 2
Method to make Thotakukura fry:
- Initially, wash the amaranthus leaves well, chop and keep aside.
- I prefer blanching the chopped leafy veg for a minute before going ahead and preparing any recipe. This removes bitterness if any.
- Take out the veggie from boiling water, drain and keep aside.
- Once done with the blanching, take a pan and heat some oil.
- To the oil, add in the crushed garlic pods and chopped ginger and dry red chili. Saute well.
- Once done add in the chopped, blanched amaranthus leaves.
- Add salt at this stage. This fry tastes best when is a bit salty.
- Saute till all the water evaporates and the fry starts leaving oil.
- The nutritious amaranthus fry-thotakura fry is ready and tastes great with piping hot rice.
- Give it a try!
Also check: chinta-chiguru-pappu-recipe