Be it Idly/Dosa or any other breakfast/snack. None are complete without a chutney on its side. Of the many chutneys, one is Bengal gram chutney that goes well with almost all breakfast/snack recipes.
It is an easy preparation requiring only a couple of ingredients, and yay you are to have a great breakfast.
- Bengal gram: One cup
- Green chilis: 5-6
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Lemon Juice: 2- 3 drops (optional)
For Tampering the Bengal Gram Chutney:
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 a teaspoon
- Curry leaves: few
Procedure to make Bengal gram chutney:
- Take a pan, heat some oil and add the bengal gram/ chana dal, green chilis and garlic cloves.
- Fry the Bengal gram/chana dal till light golden brown. Make sure it's not raw/ not burnt!
- Let the fried ingredients cool and make it into a soft paste with the required amount of salt.
- Add water to required consistency.
- Take the same pan and heat some more oil. Splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves and add the tempering to the chutney.
- Note: DO not add the chutney into the hot tampering pan as the hot pan turns the chutney into a thick paste in no time! Instead, take the ground chutney into a bowl and add the tampering on it, like normally! 😛
Step by step images showing the procedure:
1. Keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Take a pan and add chana dal, green chilis, and garlic cloves.
3. Fry till golden brown. (If not the chutney would taste like gram flour and would ruin your experience)
4. Take the fried ingredients aside and let cool. Blend into a smooth paste with salt to taste and little water.
5. Add the tampering and enjoy your breakfast, be it Idly or Dosa, with the very yummy bengal gram chutney. You can also add a couple of lemon drops to enhance the taste.
PS: This chutney tastes best when it is a bit spicy. Also, you can add few garlic cloves in the tampering as well.